Sisters from Switzerland 2004
The history of the "Missionary Sisters of the Catholic Apostolate", known as the Pallottine missionary sisters, finds its beginnings in Switzerland at the start of the 1930s. The call at that time read: "WANTED: WOMEN FOR WOMEN!"
An industrial community in the East of Switzerland: UZWIL. For farmers and farmers' wives – and for factory workers the same applies: working all days long, income is meagre, leisure time is almost unknown and families are mostly large! A heavy load and responsibility is placed on the mothers. There is a great deal of quiet need! The parish priest, Jakob Gähwiler, sees their hidden plight. His dream is that of nuns offering the women of the parish and environs a home where they can bring their children into the world and where they can then experience a few days of recovery. The presence of the nuns means a guarantee for the priests that besides competent care and attendance, the faith dimension will also be brought to bear in the maternity home. The priest's vision is primarily taken on by a few women from the village and by a brother of the Pallottines.
Niederuzwil - 1934
1932 - The dream begins to come true. There are two SIGNS that affirm the priest’s plan. They give him the certainty that God’s Hand is at work! The first sign: The Superior General of the Pallottines, at that time headquartered in Limburg an der Lahn, Germany, understands and supports the plan of the priest from Switzerland. She agrees to send a few well-trained German sisters to Switzerland soon. (At this time there is already a link between the German Pallottines in Limburg and Switzerland. A few sisters have already been working in the Pallottine Brothers branch in Gossau since 1926.)
The second sign: A few factory buildings have been standing empty in the middle of the town of Niederuzwil. An association is founded that is to look after the concerns of the sisters and their planned maternity home. These buildings can be purchased by the association on favourable terms.