▪ January 2020 was filled with many activities in the Vatican. Among them was very exceptional the celebration of the 1st Sunday of the Word of God the 26th. On this day Pope Francis celebrated Holy Mass in St. Peter´s Basilica and urged the Christians to make room in their lives for the Sacred Scriptures. He said, the Word that saves does not go looking for well-preserved, clean, safe places. It comes into our complexities, into our darkness. If we are open to the Word of God, we will discover that God is close to us, that he dispels our darkness and, with great love, leads our lives into deep waters. After the Holy Mass, Bibles were distributed to all the faithful.
▪ The celebration of Epiphany, as an already existing tradition in the Procura, had three parts: first, the blessing of our two houses the Generalate and Procura, second, the solemn vespers and the adoration of Infant Jesus, and the third, sharing the agape and the singing of Christmas carols. See the web site.
▪ The appointed members of the Preparatory Commission for the XXI General Chapter met together with the General Council for their first meeting from 13 – 18. The members of the Commission are: Sr. Alda Isa Paes (India), Sr. Maria Landsberger (Germany), Sr. Urszula Kłusek (Poland), also Sr. Maria Dӧrig (Switzerland) and Sr. Perpétue Nyiramahoro (Rwanda/Congo) who were unable to participate due to various reasons.
▪ The first General Councils´ meeting of the two Pallottine Sisters´ Congregations CSAC and SAC for this year took place in our Generalate. It was also an occasion for the newly elected members of the Roman Pallottine Sisters to be introduced. Together the sisters exchanged their experiences, expressed their expectations regarding the reunification process and made common planing.
▪ After the three days of the meaningful Triduum, on 22 January, the solemn concelebration of the Holy Mass in honor of St. Vincent Pallotti was presided in SS. Salvatore in Onda Church by Msgr. Antonio Raspanti, the Bishop of Acireale, Sicily, a diocese to which the Pallottine family is particularly attached. Msgr. Raspanti, in his homily, said that “charity as sharing in the poverty of the other is an integral part of the proclamation. Without meekness and humility, we will be like cymbals without sounds”. Many members of the Union of Catholic Apostolate and friends of St. Vincent Pallotti gathered for the celebration; among them were the Superior Generals of the foundation communities, Mother Ivete Garlet, Mother Izabela Świerad, Vicar General Fr. Józef Lasak and the president of the Union of Catholic Apostolate, Dr. Donatella Acerbi. After the Holy Mass there was a fellowship gathering at the Hotel Ponte Sisto. On the next day, Sr. Izabela Świerad travelled to South Africa and Sr. Liberata Niyongira and Sr. Honorata Lyimo to Cameroun.
▪ Since August 2018 two Roman Pallottine Sisters (CSAC) of the Indian Province are in Germany, studying at the Pallottine University in Vallendar. A quarter of a year ago they received reinforcement by Sr. Deepthy and Sr. Anthoni Mary. Meanwhile, these two have successfully completed a language course and, with the support of Sr. Simone Hachen, completed all the formalities in order to be permitted to work in Germany. Since the beginning of this year they live now with the sisters in St. Joseph's House Refrath, where they are gaining their first experience in a German old age home. Later they will work in House Felizitas in Limburg.
▪ Mid-January, the provincial administration offices moved to our new building Camaldoli. Since the other rooms will be ready only in February, the moving of the sisters to their new rooms had to be postponed to March.
▪ On the Epiphany of the Lord our community was blessed to have two Candidates who were accepted into Postulancy. The whole community gathered for prayer and had supper together in honor of our new Postulants. ▪ On 22nd, Siuyu community celebrated the feast of our Founder St. Vincent Pallotti in a special way. There was a Holy Mass presided over by Fr. John Makabe, SAC the Parish Priest, and concelebrated by Fr. Tom Ryan SAC, Fr. Marcellus Auja SAC and Fr. Steven Muli SAC. After the readings Fr. Makabe invited Sr. Florida Mjengi SAC to give a life story of our Founder St. Vincent Pallotti. After the Holy Mass all enjoyed a lunch together with the disabled children, Union Members, invited guests and some Parishioners in the Rehabilitation Centre. The day was enjoyable with entertainment and the presence of each other.
▪ The Laurel community is happy to share that eight students and three teachers from St. Vincent Pallotti High School went to Belize City and Punta Gorda for a week of service to the poor. On January 24, Srs. Karen Lester, Stella Holisz, Danuta Przybylek, Sahaya Ambrose and Amutha Mary took part in a March-for-Life in Washington, D.C. People from St. Mary of the Mills Parish and Pallotti High School also took part.
▪ In Huntington, the community combined the Feast of Epiphany and two special birthday celebrations on January 5th. We celebrated Sr. Diane Bushee’s 85th birthday and Sr. Joanne Obrochta’s 90th birthday. The neighborhood community joined us for the celebrations. It was a lively time for all.
▪ The local newspaper of Buckhannon, WV honored our Pallottine Foundation as the Hometown Heroes. An entire page was filled with the history of the beginning and purpose of the Pallottine Foundation of Buckhannon, organizations who have benefitted so far, quotes from Board Members and an interview with Sr. Francesca Lowis, SAC.
▪ The Marist Fathers and Brothers (SM) who served the Catholic Church in Buckhannon, West Virginia are closing their mission after 118 years of service. The Marists and Pallottines have been working closely together for almost 100 years. Fr. Nikolas Hengers,SM was the one who got the first Pallottine Sisters to start a school and then a hospital in Richwood, WV. When he was transferred to Buckhannon, WV he asked for Pallottine Sisters to start a hospital. St. Joseph’s Hospital will celebrate its 100. Anniversary in March 2021.
▪ The celebration of the feast day of our Founder St. Vincent Pallotti began with a nine-day Novena held in Nazareth Chapel, Punta Gorda and with a reflection on the life and spirituality of St. Vincent Pallotti in Belize City. At both places solemn Mass was celebrated in honor of St. Vincent Pallotti. In Belize after the Mass, Pallotti High School girls put on variety show of poems, songs, and skits about Pallotti which were written and performed by the students. Later there was a special dinner for the Staff, Board members of Pallotti High School and friends of Pallotti. It was indeed a day of honoring Vincent Pallotti.
▪ On 10th, Mrs. Hayley Carpenter, the Principal of St. Joseph’s Nurses Training School organized the reunion for nurses who received their training in this Institute. The School was started in 1990 by Sr. Simone Görgen SAC to empower the poor girls and to alleviate poverty. There were 120 nurses who took part in it. Special guests were the Hoffmeier family and friends from Germany and South Africa. Sisters from Pinelands and St Joseph’s were invited as well. The Hoffmeier family who had founded the Hoffmeier Good Hope Foundation sponsored all these nurses for their studies. The nurses shared their life success stories and are very grateful to the Institute and their sponsors.
▪ The Pallottine Family in Pineland celebrated the feast of St. Vincent Pallotti in the Chapel of the Provincial house. Fr. Christu Amal Raj, SAC was the main celebrant and the concelebrants were three Pallottine priests and a diocesan priest. After the Holy Mass all gathered for a get together.
▪ On 24th, the Sisters warmly welcomed Sr. Izabela Świerad, Superior General in their midst. Sister will also take part in the farewell celebration of Sr. Annemarie Niehsen, who will be returning to Germany after 52 years of her mission service in Cape Town, South Africa.
▪ On 11th, on the eve of the Baptism of the Lord, the episcopal ordination of Fr. Adrian Joseph Galbas, SAC took place during the Holy Mass at Ełk Cathedral. The main celebrant was Bp. Jerzy Mazur, of the Diocese of Ełk, and concelebrants were Bp. Salvatore Pennacchio, the Apostolic Nuncio in Poland and Bp. Józef Górzyński, Metropolitan of Warmia. On this joyful celebration Sr. Iwona Nadziejko, Provincial Superior, Sr. Magdalena Szymczak, Vicar Provincial, with many Pallottine Sisters from different communities took part in this ceremony. After the liturgy and words of congratulation, Bp. Galbas SAC expressed his thanks to the members of the Union of the Catholic Apostolate including Pallottine priests, sisters and laity. He said, he will be a Pallottine until death. The celebration ended with a shared agape.
▪ In Belarus a group of 22 young people from Voronowo and Hermaniszek under the care of Sr. Natalia Dremo and Fr. Eugeniusz Ejsmont went to Zhlobin, to take part in the meeting of the Pallottine youth from all the parishes, which was held from 7 -11 January in Belarus. It was the fourth meeting, which brought together 50 young people. Every day they participated in the Eucharistic celebration, listened to the conferences and prayed before the Blessed Sacrament. The resource persons presented useful topics with different creativity to draw the attention of the young people.
▪ On 15th, Sr. Odette Uwamariya and Sr. Dative Niyigena made the presentation of their dissertation submitted in partial fulfillment of requirements for the award of Bachelor’s Degree respectively in Education and Catechesis at the Catholic University. We thank the Lord for their success.
▪ On 22nd, the Solemnity of our Founder Saint Vincent Pallotti, the community of Quistinic- France had Mass in their oratory with the Christians. Before Mass, the Sisters spoke about the person of Saint Vincent Pallotti and his work.
▪ Likewise, in Rwanda, the Feast of St. Vincent Pallotti was celebrated at the level of the NCC of UAC at Gikondo together with the members of the Union and the parishioners.
▪ The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Province of the Pallottine Fathers was restructured and two New Entities were raised to the Canonical status of a Province and an Autonomous Region. This historical event took place on 6th January in the Solemn Eucharistic Celebration at the Provincial house of the fathers, Bangalore. Holy Mass was presided over by Fr. Jacob Nampudakam, the Rector General. Our Sisters from the Provincial house community had the privilege of witnessing this joyful event and joined in the fellowship meal.
▪ All the communities of the province prayed nine-day novena in honour of our founder St. Vincent Pallotti reflecting on the theme ‘Universal Holiness for Universal Apostolate and Universal Apostolate for Universal Holiness’. On the 22nd, joining the other Pallottine entities with immense joy we celebrated solemnly the feast of Pallotti. May we like our founder have the desire for holiness and manifest God’s infinite glory through words and deeds.
Let us Remember our Deceased Sister
Sr. Eva Hunold, SAC * 19.07.1922 † 26.01.2020 Germany